So what is a good center ground in this on-going struggle? The Sock Bun.
If you spend any amount of time scrolling through fashion-anything these days, you'll see the Sock Bun (or Ballerina Bun) everywhere. It's more stylish than the ponytail, yet just as simple to accomplish and has become my go-to hairstyle as of late.
Don't believe me on how simple it is? Then just follow along below:
- Some Bobby Pins (as many as you think you'll need)
- Ponytail Holder
- A Sock (cut at that toes or the top, here is a great demonstration of this)
- Hair Spray
1. Start by having your hair down and combed (although it isn't required to have it combed. Just my preference).
2. Then comb your hair up into a ponytail. The height of you ponytail will determine the height of the bun; so if you like it higher do a high pony, or a low pony for a lower bun.
3. Then slip the sock onto the ponytail until it's at the base.
4. From here you take your hair and wrap it over the sock, pinning while you go, until the entire sock is covered and all your hair tucked in. I start at the top and work my way around, but you do what works best for you!
5. Viola! As my 6 year old would say, Easy-Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
Another trick I've found having used this hairstyle for any occasion, is that if you make your original ponytail a little more loose then your bun will look more casual and vice versa; if your ponytail is really tight, your bun will look more slick and dressy.
It's also a great hairstyle for any occasion. Can be dressed up with accessories or dressed down with little "flyaway" hairs.
*Have any other tricks that you like with this hairstyle? Any quick hairstyles you love? Let me know! Also send me some pictures of your Sock Buns! I'd love to share them with my readers!